Sunday, September 21, 2008

Grand Bay #3

Oh yea! We conquered that flat, wooden boardwalk! You better believe it. After about .5 miles and roughly 20 minutes on the trail we made it to our destination. We knew we could do it. At the end of the boardwalk you arrive to a structure that represents the greatest elevation gain in all of Southern Georgia, the Grand Bay observation tower. The only place you are going to get higher than this in this neck of the woods is when you are in an air plane.
All joking aside, the wetlands are pretty amazing. Towards the last half of the boardwalk, the surroundings look otherworldly.


One of the things that I could not get over was how black the water is. It is wild!


During our trips to Grand Bay, I have really wanted to see some wildlife. Besides the GIANT spiders, I was hoping to see, umm, an alligator perhaps? Fortunately when we were on top of the observations tower, we heard something thrashing in the water. It was an alligator! They sit so still that if you do not hear the thrashing, they are very hard to see. I was very impressed with the creature. I have now seen an alligator in the wild! Our best guess of the length was longer than 6 feet. Below is a picture of the beast.


Finally, while we were at the center, we saw a Pitcher Plant, a type of carnivorous plant. Most people think of the venus fly trap when they think of insect eating vegetation, but pitcher plants also do their fair share of insect snarfing.

0 comment(s):